Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Derailed (2005)

How much for a BJ?

Director: Mikael Håfström
Format: DVD
DVD Features: deleted scenes, trailers
Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Clive Owen, Rza, Xzibit
Trailer

Someone recommended this movie to me. I don’t remember who did, but they assured me that the inclusion of Jennifer Aniston in the cast wouldn’t be an issue for me. She’s one of the actors I tend to avoid. However, in this case, my friend was right. Something I didn’t hear about in advance was two other famous members of the cast. Fans of Hip-Hop will recognize Rza and Xzibit on screen. Rza, at least, has had his hand in the movie business for a while now. He was in Jim Jarmusch’s Coffee and Cigarettes as well as contributing the musical score for Ghost Dog from the same director. I dig RZA. It’s fun to see him in movies because he has a lot of personality and quite a way with words. Xzibit though, doesn’t have much more than a token role in Derailed. So, if he does posses any acting abilities, it isn’t readily apparent in this film. I have been on a Clive Owen kick for some time now. I’ll spare you the list of his films that I’ve been through. But, let me say that I’ve only been disappointed once.

Plotwise, Derailed is fairly predictable in places. The “twist” near the end was as obvious as an oncoming train and I don’t think it took more than 15 minutes for me to smell a rat. Then, we have the equally blinding moral lesson that underscores the storyline. Regardless of those two factors, the movie manages a few surprises in places. Although the film’s destination might be expected, the journey is sometimes more important.

Bypassing as many spoilers as possible, the basic plot breaks down like this. Charles Schine (Owen) is an advertising executive struggling under the dual pressures of his home life and his career. When he meets an attractive woman on the train (Aniston), he welcomes the exciting departure of a possible affair. At the moment the couple decides to consummate their infidelity, a mugger surprises them in their hotel room. Fearing the effects that disclosing the event to the police would have on her family life, the woman refuses to file an official report with the authorities. Soon afterward, the mugger contacts Schine with blackmail demands and ever more increasing threats.

All in all, the film moves at a satisfying pace, without many diversions along the way. There’s a final little twist that I hadn’t expected, but all of the loose ends wrap up into a bit too tidy of a package for my taste. Derailed is clever after all and I enjoyed the ride. I do recommend the rental. There are even some juicy moments to arouse, if only briefly, my lust for Mr. Owen. But, Derailed won’t make in onto my “to buy list”, if only for the fact that it’s even harder to surprise me the second time around.

Overall Rating: 3
Hottie Rating: 4 (Owen is such a stud!)

Alternate Viewing: Lucky Number Sleven
Official Site
IMDB Site
Rotten Tomatoes review

***Note: If you found this review via IMDB, please let us know by leaving a comment. Thanks!***

No comments: