Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Matador (2005)

Bang!
Director: Richard Shepard
Venue: DVD
DVD Features: making of, commentary, deleted scenes, radio program, trailers

Once again, I’ve been misled by another trailer. (I should start a list.) The trailer for The Matador never peaked my interest. I thought, “Oh great, yet another Pierce Brosnan spy/action flick.” However, the opportunity to see it came my way and we all know that Neko never passes up a free movie. I’m glad I gave it a chance, because it was not at all what I expected. Brosnan plays a hit man, employed by a certain mysterious party, but, he’s cracking up, losing it, and the wires in his head are getting crossed. Enter Greg Kinnear (i.e. comic relief)

The two characters meet in Mexico. Both are there for business, each of a different sort, of course. They share a few drinks, go to a bullfight, and become sort of awkward friends. They are definitely a mismatched pair. That’s where the comedy derives from. I expected the comedy in this to be cheesy at best, but I was once again surprised. The Matador manages a good blend of laughs and excitement. Julian Noble (Brosnan) begins to find that he can’t handle “the business” anymore, but he can’t get his employer to give him a vacation. So, he travels the world on a few more jobs until one goes awry. Now, he finds himself on the hit list and there’s only one person he can go to for help. Although, in most regards, the plot of this film isn’t terribly original, it’s pulled off very well. My only gripe is, “Couldn’t they have thought up a better title?”

Plot: 3 1/2 stars

Brosnan, of course is a fine actor. When I first saw Kinnear appear in the film, I rolled my eyes. I’ve never liked the characters Kinnear played in any film. I suppose that it’s not the man’s acting ability that I dislike, but the roles he chooses to play. So, I thought that his role in the Matador would be equally as irritating. While he does play somewhat similar to his previous roles, it somehow works well to juxtapoz Brosnan’s role. The supporting cast does a fine job as well, but these two men steal the show.

Acting: 5 stars

The Matador is as exciting as it is funny. Sure, there are no car chases, I don’t recall any explosions, and there certainly isn’t any Kung Fu. However, there is an element of danger, suspense, and anxiety. Whenever Julian shows up, tension is built from wondering what this man will do next and how he’s going to screw up. And then, on top of that, is Danny (Kinnear) going to go along with his hair-brained plans, or back out? There’s also the fact that Julian Noble is employed as a hit man and that’s exciting too.

Action: 2 ½ stars

The lack of international flavor that I experienced with Munich, was made up for with The Matador. Firstly, when the scene switches to a new country, a great, big, full-screen title announces the new venue. Sure, it sounds dopey, but it’s actually kinda cool. Secondly, when the title flashes, “MEXICO”, the sun is bright and tropical, the atmosphere is laid back, and the bartender speaks Spanish. It really feels like Mexico. When the title says, “RUSSIA”, the flavor of the scene changes completely. There are pictures of monuments and recognizable landmarks. The weather is appropriate, the costumes are appropriate and all the intangible essence of the place comes alive. The cinematography is superb and the sets are very well done.

Visual: 4 1/2 stars

Since most of the tension and comedy in the film stems from the dialogue, it would have been difficult to make the movie as entertaining without it. There aren’t any lines out of place or mismatched with the characters. However, I like to find catch phrases in movies that would make a good tattoo, neat to work into daily dialogue, or plaster on a t-shirt. There weren’t any in The Matador.

Dialogue: 3 ½ stars

To summarize, The Matador is a worthwhile movie experience. It wasn’t at all what I expected, and didn’t disappoint. Macey and Kinnear are a good match and the movie has all the elements for an entertaining evening in front of the DVD player. I’m not going to be purchasing the DVD however, because I don’t think the film has repeat viewing value.

Alternate viewing choice: The Man Who Wasn’t There
IMDB site
Official site
Rotten Tomatoes review

***Note: If you found this review via IMDB, please let us know by leaving a comment. Thanks!***

No comments: