Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Let's Hear It For The Girls

It's about time to heat things up again here at GP. Gummi Awards prizes will go out this week and I'm feeling the itch to start some new reviews! But, I want to take a moment to see who's still with us out there. So, a fun little question to get everyone playing along:

What is your favorite "girl power" movie?

I'm not talking about "chick flicks" here; I want titles with a little kick-butt. For example, movies like Teeth or Enough. Guys, don't be afraid to answer this one too. We all know tough girls know how to turn the fellas' heads.

My personal favorite? It's Tarantino's Death Proof. It could be because it was filmed (partially, at least) in Austin, TX, it could be because it features badass muscle cars, and it could even be that Zoe Bell is my new idol. Whatever the reason, if you haven't seen it yet, you should!

Now I want to hear from you (in the comments section)! Tell me the title of your favorite "girl power" flick and why you like it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking around for Zoe Bell info, I found this site: http://www.bitchslapmovie.com/

Which is fun to play around in, especially if you like gratuitous boobs all over the place.

Anonymous said...

Four fave kick-ass chick movies:
1) Hard Candy - I'll never look at a garbage disposal in the same way again. Ellen Page was brilliant! And the movie toys with you: you feel sorry for the guy, then you remember that he's a pedophile; you fear for her innocence, then suspect she may be a bit cuckoo. Awesome!
2) G.I. Jane - Yes, I said it. I am no fan of Demi Moore, and this is no Oscar winning film, but I think I had a lesbian moment watching her get ripped (I envy those guns!) and shave off her hair. I love Viggo, but when Demi kicks his ass, ooooooh!
3) Aliens - "Get away from her you BITCH!" Need I say more?
4) Terminator 2 - Sara Connor all pumped up and rackin' a shotgun one-handed. Damn, maybe I am a lesbian.
-CarrieO

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll go with an obvious and nominate the new Charlie's Angels movies. It's "girl-power" times three (and times two for those really picky people). The best part is that the movies not only offer up its fair share of kick-a$$ chicks, but also have enough action for the more "testosteroney".
- Thanh

Shelly100 said...

Here's my list:

V for Vendetta
Hard Candy
9 to 5
Fried Green Tomatoes
Practical Magic
Dogma
Iron Jawed Angels
Auntie Mame
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
But I'm a Cheerleader
Election
The Fifth Element
Girl, Interrupted
Matilda
Slums of Beverly Hills
Sugar and Spice
Vanity Fair
The Vagina Monologues

chadstract said...

G.I. Jane all the way! Oh and Sin City has a formidible gang of femme fatales. And Kill Bill is one hell of a girl power flick!

Neko Noir said...

chadstract - I thought you vanished!
Sin City and Kill Bill are two very, very solid choices!

Kris said...

Death Proof, Kill Bill, Sin City and Terminator 2 are all good, I also like The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Brave One and La Femme Nikita.

Anonymous said...

Heck, if we can do multiple nominations, I'm going with my favorite action girl, Angelina Jolie! The Tomb Raiders, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Gone in 60 Seconds, Wanted. True she's not always the only character, but no one plays a better kickass chick (in my humble opinion)!
- Thanh

chadstract said...

Still a faithful reader! How have you been?

Neko Noir said...

Kris - La Femme Nikita? Classic!

Thanh - Jolie was badass in Wanted, but I've never really been a fan.

Chadstract - nice to know you're still around. I saw your stuff at The Gypsy a while back.